Benefits to Wearing Prescription Sports Glasses
Wearing prescription sports glasses is one of the most important things you can do to improve your athletic performance. This is because these glasses improve vision in very specific ways, based on the sport you are playing and can protect eyes from injury and from the elements (the sun, the wind, etc.).
If you play a sport that consists of balls moving at fast speeds toward and around you, it’s important to protect your eyes from possible injuries. And, if you play a contact sport, you’re constantly at risk of being poked or elbowed in the eye. While getting hit may still hurt, sports glasses can reduce possible injuries should this happen. Glasses can also help you act and react more quickly as they sharpen your vision for the situations you’ll most likely be in.
When you can see better and your vision’s enhanced, your athletic performance will improve.
Pro and Amateur Athletes Can Benefit from Prescription Sports Glasses
So, the next question is, can you benefit from wearing prescription sports glasses? Investing in a pair is definitely worth looking into if you’re serious about improving your game. Generally, the best thing to look for is sports glasses made out of polycarbonate, which is a kind of plastic that is durable and light. However, this isn’t the only thing you should consider when looking at glasses for your sport.
- Tennis Glasses: It’s a good idea to protect your eyes from balls traveling at high speeds. In tennis, the ball is doing just that and you’ll want to protect your eyes from any potential injuries. It’s also important to wear sunglasses that protect your eyes from the sun and various shadows on the court and fit comfortably on your face.
- Basketball Glasses: In contact sports like basketball, injuries can occur when players are poked or elbowed in the eye. So, you need to find glasses that completely surround your eye to reduce the possibility of injury. It’s also a good idea to find glasses that are durable, offer comfortable padding, and are secured with an elastic band.
- Cycling Glasses: While you don’t come into contact with other players or flying balls during cycling, prescription sports glasses are important when cycling because they can protect your eyes from the elements, such as the wind, the glare of the sun, and dust and pebbles being thrown at your face from the rider in front of you. It’s also important to find glasses with interchangeable lenses that are the correct color, or tint, so you can switch them as the seasons change.
- Baseball Glasses: In baseball, you’re sometimes looking directly at the sun to catch the ball. And even if you’re not looking right into the sun, the glare of the sun off to the side can make tracking the ball much more difficult. Baseball glasses often wrap around the face to prevent this problem, and have a tight grip on your nose so they stay in place.
- Soccer Glasses: Similar to basketball, glasses for soccer should also be secured with an elastic band, durable, cover the entire eye, and offer comfortable padding. They can also help you to see the ball sooner, helping you and your team win the game.
- Shooting Glasses: It is important to wear glasses while shooting for similar reasons; they protect your eyes from flying shells and improve your view of the target by reducing glare. Other things to consider include lens material and color, durability, coverage and fit.
There are many other sports where athletic glasses can come in handy. All of them can and will improve your vision and keep your eyes safe, enhancing your overall performance. It’s just one less thing to worry about when you’re in the game.
It can be overwhelming at times trying to find the right set of prescription glasses no matter what sport you play. To make the process contact Dr. Barry Leonard at 818-891-6711 or make an appointment online.
As a successful Optometrist with many satisfied patients, Dr. Barry Leonard will guide you in making the right decision to help improve your overall athletic performance. Why make things harder? Prescription sports glasses are almost guaranteed to help improve your overall performance!